These mostly mild peppers (both Shishito and Padron) are a new obsession for me. They first intrigued me because although they are usually mild, about one in ten is a bit spicy. They are the Russian roulette of peppers! If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, they sell a small bag of Shishito peppers at a great price. If your usual grocery store doesn’t stock them, Whole Foods sells them in the summer time, from local farms here in San Diego.
1/2 pound shishito or padron peppers
juice of half lemon
1) Wash and dry peppers (or else they will splatter when they hit the oil)
2) Heat a saute pan, then add olive oil.
3) When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the peppers.
4) Toss the peppers occasionally, until they are blistered on one side. About ten minutes.
5) Add a dash of course salt, and the juice of half a lemon. Turn the heat off, and let the peppers steam for a minute.